Monday, March 28, 2011

DRJ #4, Hamlet Act 4 & 5

The amount of action contained in the ending of this play is overwhelming. Many of the characters either die, have their ulterior motives exposed, become mad, and their true colors are shown. I can't personally relate to any of the events that take place in this act, but it reminded me of a soap opera. There were so many elements involved; life, death, revenge, deceit, along with many others. After reading these final acts I felt a little relieved over the fact that no one was lying at this point and everything was out in the open. I felt like a weight had been lifted off each character, especially Hamlet, since he had more problems to handle.

I mainly focused on the character Hamlet, since he was finally able to come face to face with the numerous amount of issues he had been dealing with. Up until these acts, he was not able to to talk about his worries or the pressure he was under. He was too concerned with what would happen if his plot for revenge was exposed, how he would feel if he didn't remain loyal to his father, and whether or not he would make it to heaven. Once his plan began to unravel after the death of Polonius, it didn't seem like he cared what would happen from that point on and developed more courage.

There were many themes that I found in these acts, but the theme that stood out to me the most was honesty. Each character had become so enthralled in the issues that would surface, that they eventually became deceitful and conspired against the people that they cared about. Toward the end of the play, however, the chaotic events that took place forced everyone to come forth with their issues.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I think all the elements of the story were brought out in these two acts. Things must have been to close in that castle because sooner or later I think everyone was going mad, and Hamlet started to actually seem tlike the sane one for once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't really think honesty was a theme but the more I was thinking about your comment I thought it played a part. Claudius and Polonius's son were having honesty towards each other in their conversations. As well as Hamlet and his good friend Horatio. This act was very chaotic. There were a lot of emotions and feeling flying back and forth from the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,
    I really like your comment about Hamlet's relief. I connected the feeling of relief to fulfilling his revenge but I didn't think about everything that he had been holding back. It did seem like he started to care less about being secretive, like when he talked to his mother and Horatio. He started to openly admit his plan. Good post!

    ReplyDelete